This Policy is designed to achieve the following objectives:
1. To enhance and improve staff awareness and appreciation of the beliefs, values and cultures of different ethnic groups which may directly impact upon service user Care Plans;
2. To enable staff to address, challenge and eliminate discriminatory practices within the Organisation. This Policy will complement the Equal Opportunities & Diversity Policy No 1006;
Though geared primarily towards service users, the basic principles of anti-discriminatory practices will be extended to Care Staff to ensure the promotion of equal opportunities and fairness for all.
1. It is the policy at Prime Recruitment Ltd that all service users will be treated equally, regardless of race or ethnic origin, creed, colour, religion, political affiliation, disability or impairments, marital status, parenthood, sexual gender or sexual orientation.
2. An appreciation of ethnic awareness will be included in the Induction Training Programme for all staff. This ethnic awareness training will focus upon the following issues, according to the ethnic mix of the service user base and the community at large. Staff will be required to become conversant with the following considerations relating to the various ethnic groups:
First language / mother tongues.
Principal festivals, ceremonies and religious celebrations - dates / dress codes / activities / fasting.
Religious beliefs - Holy Books / places of worship / religious symbols / prayers / Ministers of Religion.
Family values - naming systems / contraception / pregnancy / childbirth.
Diets - foodstuffs forbidden by religion / consumption of alcohol and stimulants (e.g. caffeine).
Personal care and hygiene - special hairdressing needs / special requirements for personal care.
Women at work.
Death & Last Offices - last rites / organ transplants.
3. This information is considered to be essential to enable the following to be achieved:
avoidance of stereotyping on grounds of race, ethnic origin, culture, religion, age, sex or marital status;
addressing and challenging discriminatory practices;
active support and enhancement of the Organisation’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
4. It is the policy at Prime Recruitment Ltd that discrimination on the grounds of ethnic origin, creed, colour, religion, political affiliation, disability or impairments, marital status, parenthood, sexual gender or sexual orientation will not be tolerated. Discriminatory practices will be challenged with the objective of eliminating them. Violating this Policy may lead to disciplinary action.
Form No: 3-401 Service User’s Diet, Ethnicity & Religion - master matrix